IT  EN  FR  DE    HOME

14 - San Giacomo Filippo ( 796 m A.M.S.L )

Towards the end of the 12th century there were very few churches in evidence in Valchiavenna. However one was constructed at San Giacomo and the developing village around it quite naturally adopted its name. Inside there are frescoes  by one Giovanni Battista Macolino, a local artist.

On the opposite bank of the Liro sits the church of San Guglielmo built on the site of the cave occupied by the hermit Guglielmo of Orenga until his death in the Eleventh Century. And it´s here on his tomb-site that the first church (Baptismal) was constructed in the 13th Century. The current occupant dates back to 1613-16.

 






Photos

 

 
viaSpluga - Consorzio per la promozione turistica della Valchiavenna
www.viaspluga.com - www.viaspluga.it - info@viaspluga.com

Realizzazione Mille51